Monday, July 12, 2010

1 Peter 2:12

My favorite class I had ever taken as I went through public school and finished with a mix of community college and bible college was a philosophy or religions class at the community college. It provided a couple of my favorites together: unbelievers and open discussions on theology and philosophy. At then end of the course I found myself sitting across a very astute new age agnostic over drinks. His family was heavily religious of some Christian flavor, and his father was a pastor. He rejected his upbringing and put me in corner with this question: "Have you ever seen the waiting lines for the uninsured trying to get on state health insurance?" "How could a whole cross section of the US be so opposed to helping people with such basic needs as health care?" Sadly, I did not really have anything to say to him.

5 years later I live with a group of believers reaching out to the poor through the apartment complex initiative. Compassion connect also puts on free health care clinics to serve some of the most broken. If the question ever comes again I am ready to boast about: Milan, Jennifer, David & Elena, Josh, Tyrone...
 
"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."

-1 peter 2:12

-Dan Johnson

No comments: