Monday, October 13, 2008

BBQ Introduction

As Josh, Tyrone, and I were headed out to go shopping for furniture we heard a friendly man shout with a Spanish accent from across the parking lot "How'd the BBQ go!?". None of us remember seeing him there yesterday afternoon, but he recognized us, and he felt comfortable enough to ask us how it went. Our top priority for the first 3-6 months of making ourselves known - even vulnerable - and listening to the voices/stories of the community is off to a wonderful start.

And listen I did. Stories of "failed" efforts to help the community, paradoxical medical situations, tough relational and financial circumstances, and spiritual journey's burst forth from our neighbors. I remember more faces then I do names. Beautiful faces, with eager smiles appear when you lend an ear and your time.

We'll post pictures soon.

2 comments:

Nolan said...

I met Tyrone tonight and he told me about what you are doing. God is doing great things and it looks like you are going along for the ride.

Janene said...

Welcome and hope you enjoy your living experience here @ Barberry Village Apartments! I know I'm going to enjoy reading about it and I am pretty sure that I am going to learn from it too.

I want to hear everything that the community has to say too!